Close Menu
The Sports Jumb
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Baseball
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Tennis
Trending

Who Are The Top 10 Hitters In the 2026 World Baseball Classic?

February 19, 2026

Klint Kubiak avoids commenting on Fernando Mendoza because he does not know him, although he describes him as talented

February 19, 2026

LeBron James’ Lakers priorities for this season have shifted: “Early playoff exit is a success”

February 19, 2026
Facebook YouTube TikTok
The Sports Jumb
Live Now Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Baseball
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Tennis
Facebook YouTube TikTok
The Sports Jumb
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Baseball
  • Soccer
  • Boxing
  • Golf
  • Tennis
Home»Soccer
Soccer

Vinicius Jr. receives backing from Lewis Hamilton following racial abuse claims

News RoomBy News RoomFebruary 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Telegram Copy Link Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp

The latest Champions League night at the Estádio da Luz ended with more than just a scoreline under scrutiny after Vinicius Jr. alleged he was racially abused by Gianluca Prestianni during Real Madrid‘s clash with Benfica.

The incident has sparked a formal UEFA investigation and drawn global support, including from seven-time Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton.

Hamilton – one of the most vocal figures against racism in global sport – shared support for Vinicius on his Instagram story.

The Ferrari driver reposted a message from Brazil’s official football account: “We’re with you @vinijr,” Hamilton reposted.

Hamilton has long used his platform in Formula 1 to call out racial injustice and discrimination, making his support unsurprising but significant.

His intervention shows how incidents in football increasingly resonate across sporting boundaries, with millions watching matches all around the world – and that includes celebrities.

How the ugly incident unfolded

Television cameras captured the moment late in Tuesday’s Champions League play-off round fixture when the two players exchanged words near the halfway line.

Prestianni appeared to cover his mouth with his shirt while speaking, a gesture that immediately prompted a reaction from Vini Jr.

The Brazilian forward alerted the referee, and play was briefly halted. According to reports after the match, the 25-year-old told officials he had been subjected to racial abuse.

Benfica and Prestianni have both denied the allegation. But the level of outrage from the world of football and sport suggests this isn’t going quiet anytime soon.

The incident did not end with the final whistle. In the aftermath, Vinicius‘ teammate Kylian Mbappé reportedly claimed that a racist term had been directed toward the Brazilian multiple times during the exchange.

Those claims were strongly rejected by Benfica, who maintain that Prestianni said something different and deny any racist intent.

Vinicius himself addressed the situation on social media following the match.

Without naming Prestianni directly, he wrote that racists are “cowards” who hide behind gestures – widely interpreted as a reference to the mouth-covering captured on camera.

The forward has previously spoken openly about being targeted by racist abuse during matches in Spain, and Tuesday’s allegation has reignited broader conversations about racism in European football.

UEFA launches investigation

UEFA has since appointed an ethics and disciplinary inspector to investigate what happened at the Estádio da Luz.

The governing body has not yet issued further comment, but the appointment signals the seriousness with which it is treating the allegation.

The visibility of this case places pressure not only on UEFA’s investigation but on how football responds to repeated allegations involving high-profile players.

Vinicius is one of the most prominent figures in the game, and previous incidents have led to arrests, stadium sanctions, and renewed debate about whether governing bodies are doing enough. Each new case is viewed not in isolation, but as part of a larger pattern.

For Benfica and Prestianni, the investigation represents both reputational stakes and due process. For UEFA, it is another test of its disciplinary framework at a time when scrutiny of racism protocols remains intense.

The outcome – whether sanctions, exoneration, or inconclusive findings – will likely influence how future on-field allegations are handled.

UEFA’s ethics and disciplinary inspector will gather evidence, including match reports, broadcast footage, and statements from those involved. A timeline for findings has not yet been announced. But the football world will be watching closely for any updates.



Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

They prepare a nutritional plan for Lamine Yamal during Ramadan

Cristian Roldan acknowledges Pochettino’s impact on U.S. Men’s Soccer

Vinicius Jr. also faced these despicable racist gestures from Benfica fans

This is how Cristiano Ronaldo Jr’s youth career outpaces CR7’s achievements

Lionel Messi receives terrible news about one of his most valuable partners in Argentina

They use Lionel Messi in Barcelona elections to hit Laporta where it hurts: “Desire to return…”

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Klint Kubiak avoids commenting on Fernando Mendoza because he does not know him, although he describes him as talented

February 19, 2026

LeBron James’ Lakers priorities for this season have shifted: “Early playoff exit is a success”

February 19, 2026

They prepare a nutritional plan for Lamine Yamal during Ramadan

February 19, 2026

2026 Heisman Trophy Odds: 3 Best Futures Wagers, Including Arch Manning

February 19, 2026

Chiefs add speed element they’ve missed since Jamaal Charles in proposed blockbuster signing

February 19, 2026

Latest News

Kevin Durant breaks silence on alleged burner account during All-Star fallout

February 19, 2026

Dave Roberts uncovers a player to enter the MVP race who is not Shohei Ohtani

February 19, 2026

Cleveland Browns could part ways with Myles Garrett’s longtime defensive star teammate in stunning move

February 19, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest sports news and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) TikTok Instagram YouTube LinkedIn
2026 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.