Two months ahead of the 2026 NFL Draft, the Las Vegas Raiders are widely projected to select Fernando Mendoza, the standout quarterback from Indiana, with the first overall pick.
Yet despite the growing buzz, newly appointed head coach Klint Kubiak has acknowledged that his evaluation of Mendoza remains in its early stages, introducing an element of uncertainty into what many view as a foregone conclusion.
While Kubiak has watched Mendoza’s performance in the national championship game and observed his composure during postgame interviews, he has been candid about the limited scope of his exposure so far.
The young quarterback’s talent and team-first mentality have stood out, but the Raiders’ coaching staff intends to conduct a far deeper assessment before draft night arrives.
“My exposure is very limited,” Kubiak said. “I saw him play the national championship game, I saw the interviews he’s given after those games and how team-oriented he is.
“I look forward to getting to know the player better, but obviously a really talented guy with a bright future. We’ll see. We’ll see where it ends up.
“But we’ve got a lot of work to do to get to know him before that time comes.”
Although Mendoza is considered the front-runner, the Raiders are not locked into one path. Holding the No. 1 overall pick provides strategic leverage, and Las Vegas could entertain trade offers if another franchise presents a compelling package. Such flexibility would allow the organization to accumulate additional draft capital while still addressing roster needs.
If Mendoza ultimately lands in Las Vegas, Kubiak will face the immediate challenge of building rapport with a rookie quarterback expected to transform the franchise. Installing the offensive system, accelerating Mendoza’s adaptation to NFL speed, and managing expectations from ownership and fans will all be central to the transition process.
Kubiak’s Track Record and the Raiders’ Rebuild
The Raiders officially named Kubiak head coach on February 9, signing him to a five-year contract. General manager John Spytek welcomed him and his family as the organization introduced a new era of leadership. Kubiak arrives from the Seattle Seahawks, where he coordinated an offense that powered the team to a 29-13 victory over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LX. That unit ranked third in scoring, eighth in total offense, and tied for 10th in rushing yards – numbers that reflected balance and efficiency.
“Man, they’re getting someone special, someone who knows the game, someone who’s going to do whatever it takes to win,” said Jaxon Smith-Njigba. “He’s an unbelievable coach. I was honored to play with him this year…”
Las Vegas is coming off a 3-14 campaign under Pete Carroll, leaving Kubiak with a significant rebuilding task. However, foundational pieces such as tight end Brock Bowers and running back Ashton Jeanty, combined with the top overall pick, offer optimism.
The coaching pedigree also carries weight. Kubiak follows in the footsteps of his father, Gary Kubiak, whose long NFL résumé adds credibility to the family name. Whether the Raiders ultimately select Mendoza or pivot to an alternative plan, the measured tone from their new head coach signals a commitment to long-term growth over short-term headlines – a philosophy designed to restore stability and sustained success in Las Vegas.
Read the full article here









