Promoter Eddie Hearn has intensified the spotlight on Anthony Joshua ahead of the December 19 clash with Jake Paul, insisting that Joshua must deliver a ruthless, unmistakable performance.
With anticipation building around the Miami event, Hearn has framed the matchup not as entertainment, but as a pivotal moment for Joshua’s career trajectory.
Speaking with escalating urgency, Hearn dismissed any notion that Joshua might hold back, arguing that Paul‘s recent public prodding leaves no space for restraint.
As he put it, Joshua‘s task is clear: impose himself early and leave no room for debate about the levels separating a former world champion and a crossover challenger.
“Obviously, he needs to go in and destroy him,” Hearn told Fight Hub TV, responding directly to suggestions that Joshua might take it easy.
For Hearn, this isn’t just another payday. A comprehensive win could help restore Joshua‘s credibility after a brutal knockout loss last year, while a shaky showing could cast doubt over his heavyweight future.
A real heavyweight fight
Hearn and his team have emphasized repeatedly that this is not an exhibition. The December clash will be contested under standard heavyweight rules: 10-ounce gloves, regulated rounds, a proper fight, not a spectacle.
Hearn hasn’t sugar-coated it. “He’s not an influencer, he’s a boxer. He’s just not very good,” Hearn said of Paul on IFL TV.
“What is he, a top 60 cruiserweight in the world? … He’s alright, he’s going to get flattened.”
But Hearn recognizes the oddities of the setup. As part of negotiations, Joshua has agreed to a maximum weigh-in limit of 245 pounds, despite being a natural heavyweight walking in around 265 pounds, an unusual concession meant to help level the playing field for Paul.
Too much at stake for Joshua
After Joshua‘s knockout defeat by Daniel Dubois in September 2024, many have questioned whether he should still be considered elite.
A one-sided win over Paul would help silence doubts and pave the way for potential high-stakes matchups next year. Hearn has been vocal about ambitions for a possible showdown between Joshua and the heavyweight top-tier, but first, he wants clean results.
“The only person it’s dangerous for is Jake Paul. Don’t start talking to me about take it easy,” Hearn said.
He repeated again, the mantra, to destroy Paul. “We’re going to go in there and get it done in double quick time, destroy him, and get on the plane and then go home for Christmas.”
Observers have noted the inherent risk for Joshua: if he under-delivers or lets Paul hang around, the credibility hit could be worse than any payday. As one analyst put it, by taking this fight, Joshua “is in a no-win situation.”
Read the full article here

