Investigations continue into what may have caused the death of Miller, the son of former Yankees star Brett Gardner.
The luxury hotel where the teenager was found dead denied that the room where he was staying was contaminated with carbon monoxide, after Costa Rican police claimed that this was the most likely cause of death.
Arenas Del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort did not deny that investigators found carbon monoxide, but pointed out that the high levels of the deadly gas were found in a “machine room that guests do not occupy”.
“The levels in the hotel room were non-existent and non-lethal. There was an error in this initial report,” the hotel said.
Even the New York Post notes that the resort reported that its staff closed the room “as a precaution” while “awaiting conclusive results to confirm the cause of this unfortunate death”.
Randall Zuñiga, director general of the Costa Rican Judicial Investigation Agency, said that the FBI is also “closely coordinated” with the investigation.
A source told US Weekly that FBI agents had been at the resort helping local investigators, although people from the New York Post spoke to the hotel and learned that no FBI agents were on the scene until Tuesday afternoon.
Initially, authorities in the Central American country believed that Miller had died of asphyxiation related to food poisoning, believing that he may have choked on his own vomit, but later revealed that he had no obstruction in the trachea.
Sources told ABC News that another of the theories is that the 14-year-old may have had an allergic reaction to the medication he may have been given when the family was seen by a doctor after reporting feeling unwell at the resort.
But the Post details that a nearby pharmacy that makes emergency deliveries in Arenas del Mar reported that it did not deliver any medication the night before Gardner’s body was found and that morning it only made a small delivery of a medicine to treat diarrhea.
Doctors told the outlet that Miller was already unconscious when emergency services were called on March 21.
Prices drop at exclusive resort
The Post indicated that the cost of accommodation has dropped at Arenas del Mar, where investigations are ongoing, as reservations were priced at $1,330 per night and are now $998, while the cheaper rooms have gone from $790 to $593.
Read the full article here